As sort of a more positive post and follow-up to my post on working with university social media for 2.5 years, I decided to write a post on the best parts of it!
As I stated in that post, I really do love my job and it has been a great experience! I recommend everyone try to work with your university’s social media at least once. It is a very different experience and you really learn a lot.
- Facebook, Twitter and social media are mandatory for my job
- Coming up with very creative ways to promote different initiatives
- Encouraged to “pin” and be on Pinterest
- Tweeting to potential students and seeing their excitement about attending WCU
- Working with other departments for cross-campus collaboration
- Live tweeting to official WCU accounts for events, concerts, games, etc.
- Being a part of the team who takes pictures, attends events, etc. all for our social media
- Strategic planning for university marketing + other department/group Facebook pages
- Setting up workshops to explain Facebook uses + benefits to other departments
- Explaining the meaning and usefulness of Facebook to upper administration who might not buy in to social media at first
- Setting your own guidelines for your social media
- Crisis management!! Very interesting part.
- Working and posting things as they come. There isn’t exactly a set schedule to some things that just pop up.
- Seeing students and other community members come to WCU’s defense when some bad comments are posted
- Seeing our WCU community grow together as our social media numbers grow as well
- We have a really awesome PR office with some great people in publications, design, news, etc. They are all great to work with!