Poison 1 – Social Media Task Force.
Antidote – you need social media leaders like a czar, tyrant or dictator.
- Means – Get someone in charge that wants to be in charge instead of a whole team who do more talking than doing.
Poison 2 – Social media strategies. Don’t account for unknown and brand-centric.
Antidote – organizational philosophy
- Means – Instead of just having strategies and focusing on strategy, focus on your organization and your philosophies as well.
Poison 3 – Interns managing social media. Need institutional knowledge and klout.
Antidote – Seasoned employees.
- Means – [in my opinion] Interns do not need to the be the ones managing the social media accounts, at first. Let them learn about the company and then help them with social media. A person does need to have history of the company and knowledge of the posting content first
Poison 4 – PR and Marketing. It should touch all parts of the company.
Antidote – Know what are your customers saying and what do they really want.
- Means – It’s not about just a few people, a lot of people should be involved.
Poison 5 – Numbers.
Antidote – Dazzle. Don’t make it boring, what are you trying to prove, what should we do differently?
- Means – Don’t have a bunch of statistics, charts, portfolio numbers, etc. Show shocking stats and stuff you would actually be interested in looking at too.
Poison 6 – Twitter and Facebook. So huge and so dominant.
Antidote – Thing bigger. Blog, SEO, social media home base, lead generation, analytics.
- Means – If your Twitter and Facebook pages disappeared tomorrow, what would you have left and what would you do?
Poison 7 – Employees.
Antidote – Unleash the power of your employees, don’t keep them boxed up.
- Means – Believe in the people you have and let them do what they are supposed to. Keep them involved and working!
Poison 8 – Lawyers
Antidote – balance risk and rewards and build relationships with your legal team.
Poison 9 – Contests.
Antidote – Become a social business [like Starbucks, Coke, Dell] What value can you offer beyond fun and games?
- Contests are pretty short term and people can get tired of contests. Think of other things to do that can be more long term and beyond just a contest.
Poison 10 – Malcom Gladwell. Online relationships are weak.
Antidote – YOU. Bring it and be ready to fight. Be confident!
- Means – Online relationships can be STRONG, you just have to build them. Be you and be confident in what you can do!