How many social media platforms and email accounts do you have? If you're anything like me, you have way too many and more than you can really manage.
Here's my breakdown:
Social media accounts: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, Vine, LinkedIn, GetGlue, New Myspace, Reddit
Other accounts: Blog/website, Slideshare, Quora, StumbleUpon
Email: work, personal, PRSSA, spam
That's 19 different accounts to manage... not to mention the others I'm working on during that for clients. Add a few more! Who knows how many more I actually have out there that I've forgotten about as well.
It's no wonder we're all a little burnt out and seeking a social media vacation! A new study from MyLife.com says 50% of adult Internet users want a social vacation. We're overwhelmed with the increasing number of social networks and how many platforms (social and email) we have to manage.
The study also found:
- 42% of general users manage multiple social networking profiles
- 51% of users belong to more social networks or visit their networks more frequently than they did two years ago.
- 61% of 18-34 year-olds manage multiple accounts (I thought this number would be... 100%)
- The average adult manages 3.1 email addresses, up from 2.6 a year ago. Overall, 35% of those surveyed spend more than 31 minutes a day visiting social sites, and reading and responding to emails.
- Almost 60% experience anxiety as a result of missing an important event or status update if they don't monitor their social networks
- More than 50% report a fear of missing out
The study goes on to report 52% plan to or want to take a vacation from one or more of their accounts this year. Some things to blame include irrelevant updates and lack of time. I think those are relevant stats as I really am tired of Facebook, but still feel the need to use it, and have found myself using social media less and less.
Are you tired of any social networks? What networks would you quit?
Full infographic and study: