At the Social Fresh Tampa conference [http://socialfresh.com/tampa] @schneidermike presented on geo-location apps and what they can do for you. There were a few skeptics in the audience about LBS [location based service] apps, but I think there were a few converts and some people that wanted to try a few of the platforms after the session!
5 things geo-location can do for you:
- Build brand awareness
- Create customer advocacy
- Acquire new customers
- Retain ones you have
- Enhance audience intelligence
Golden rules of LBS:
- stake your claim to places pages in every system. Don’t be afraid to try more than one.
- connect with mayors, ambassadors, leaders, etc.
- test, learn and optimize – especially while costs are low with risk low and return potential high
- follow the ben & jerry’s rule
- be creative and build your own thing using API
Go beyond the check-in:
- photos, tips, recommendations,
- challenges, games,
I think the most important part of this session was that brands and companies need to know who is checking-in at their locations. They especially should know who the mayor is since that person has obviously been there more than others. Companies should look into claiming their businesses on all the platforms more. I can't wait to see geo-location explode more into businesses and people using it!
Popular LBS platforms [there are a lot and this is a short list]
- Google Places and Latitude
- food spotter
- Facebook Places