I announced this last week via Twitter and Facebook, but my university, Western Carolina University, is offering our FIRST ever social media and blogging class next semester!!! I am SO excited!
We have been complaining for a while now that WCU has had no SM focused class and that our classes barely focus on SM within the curriculum. Well, we got our answer!
Yesterday, we had our Comm. Dept. Picnic, which happens once a semester, and I talked to the professor who will be teaching the class and she shared a few things we will be working on and I also gave her some of my ideas.
- PR blogging for students
- Creating a blog if we don't already have one
- Twitter focus (networking and talking to companies)
- Social media crises within organizations, companies, brands, etc.
- How SM and PR relate
- The power of blogging
- Start a hashtag for our class
- Join in on hashtag chats, especially #blogchat and #PRstudchat
- Get a discussion with a PR professional going
- Host a chat via our hashtag for our class
My question for you all is what does your University do as far as social media, blogging, etc. classes? Do you have classes? What topics does your class focus on?
I know she is looking for more ideas and she is open to more ideas for the class. We really want this class to be a HUGE success! It's a real mile-marker for our university and we are VERY excited!
Please share your ideas with me!